Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quick Stop: BBQ, BBQ & BBQ


Review: 3.5 out of 5

In the South, BBQ is more than a hunk of smoked meat. It's a way of life. Tonight I visited D.B.A. Barbecue in Decatur, and my first impressions are mixed.

Starting with the appetizer, I can't stand onion rings whose batter falls off after your first bite. Unfortunately these rings did just that. Fried nice and golden, but the batter just wasn't doing it for me. The "D.B.A. Sauce" turned out to be more water than sauce with much less punch than ketchup.


The wet Carolina-style spare ribs (1/2 rack, $12) are why I give this place 3.5 stars. The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender and had a wonderful smoked flavor. On the table there was a sweet sauce that I used on the ribs and that was quite good. As for sides, the three-cheese-macaroni and coleslaw were flavorless and very dissapointing considering I'm a sucker for mac-and-cheese.

So appetizer and sides weren't that great but the ribs certainly were. I'll have to come back to get a better read on this place.

D.B.A. Barbecue
1190 N Highland Avenue Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30306
(404) 249-5000

D.B.A. Barbecue on Urbanspoon


1 comments:

Sean said...

DBA (nor Atmosphere for that matter) is not in Decatur. and just in case... Emory is not in Decatur either. otherwise, your posts are entertaining. except where I have to look at DUC food. and the farmers markets are Tuesday, not Wednesday. and I still can't believe you saw JLove at Sotto. dag.

Post a Comment